Tuesday, April 26, 2005

The Song Doctor Is In

I got a fever, and the only prescription is more cow bell. No, actually; I keep getting a song stuck in my head and I have to listen to it over and over to get it out (just witness my Howie Day infatuation.)

I’ve had the song Chocolate (by Snow Patrol) bumping around in my head the last few days and wearing off the Rewind button on my Shuffle. Just can’t get enough of it.

It’s a great song with curious vocals (the guy kind of whine’s his way through the song,) a nice riff and a relentless beat that goes and goes…

The thing is, this song is in a category of songs for me that I would classify as really catchy, but somewhat unsatisfying. There’s a few songs out there like it. Songs that I like, but that annoy me. Maybe they have a really great chorus, but it only appears once in the song, or maybe it's too damn short. Whatever it is, something is not quite right with it.

Chocolate, feels like it needs to go somewhere, but never gets there. I'm not too sure what it is about it that distracts me. It's like it needs a bridge in the middle, or it needs to build to something at the end, but instead, it just keeps going at the same pace until it gets you to the end. It's an enjoyable ride, but it's somehow unsatisfying, and leaves you reaching for the rewind button in the hope that the next time it will work itself out.

It’s kind of like eternal foreplay, without an orgasm. Foreplay is great, and it’s amazing how long you can do it for, but sometimes you just want to have the finish.

No comments: