Friday, August 19, 2005

Lori McKenna, Mark Erelli & Jake Armerding

Lori McKenna, Mark Erelli & Jake Armerding performed a night of cover songs at Club Passim Thursday, Aug 18, and it was a great show! I've seen Mark and Jake before, but this was my first time hearing Lori, and what an amazing voice she has. Whether singing lead or backup it just comes out and grabs you. Very country sounding in a way, but wow; it knocked me out.

It was a fun, almost laid-back evening, as each artist took turns performing different cover songs, with the others providing backup or just listening with the rest of us.

It opened with Jake performing a Gordon Summer song (that's Sting to you and me) I'm So Happy I Can't Stop Crying, which, dammit, I wasn't even familiar with. Other highlights included; Lori's rendition of a Johnny Cash song -the title I didn't catch- and Bruce Springsteen's One Step Up. The audience laughed through much of Mark's performance of Randy Newman's Political Science, and Richard Thompsons I Feel So Good really rocked.

Jake did a hilarious cover of I LIke Big Butts (not sure of the exact title,) and a great performance of Michael Jackson's I Wanna Rock With You. Two songs that aren't thought of as folk or acoustic standards!








No comments: